This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission when you click the links at no additional cost to you.
Sharing all the details of our trip to Hunting Island State Park SC so you can plan an amazing trip for your family.
Arriving At Hunting Island State Park
Hunting Island State Park has been on our to-do list for quite some time. We live about an hour away so it isn’t usually our first choice for beaches – Hilton Head is only 30 to 40 minutes away depending on traffic. We’ve also held off because you have to pay to get into Hunting Island State Park. It doesn’t cost a fortune but as a family of 6, we tend to watch where we’re throwing our money. You can find the park entry fees here.
We finally decided to make the trip when I was able to snag the SC State Park Pass from our local library. If this is news to you, you are not alone! Almost everyone I tell about this is surprised. Maybe I should keep it more hush hush so it’s available more often. 🙂 Our library only has 1 park pass and it can be checked out for 1 week. It took me 2 attempts before I was able to snag it! By using that instead of paying we saved $24. Nothing to go crazy over but happy to have it put in my gas tank.
There is one way on and off of the island unless you are traveling by boat. To get to the park you’ll have to drive through Saint Helena Island as well as Harbor Island before finally reaching Hunting Island. While you do not need to pay to get onto the island you will need to pay to enter the park. There are a couple spots along the side of the road where you can park and get out to view wildlife if you decide you’d just like to drive through.
What To Do At Hunting Island State Park SC
If you love the outdoors, history and being at the beach you will have an amazing time at Hunting Island State Park. From shell collecting to exploring, there is something for everyone.
- Visit the historic lighthouse – You can find the lighthouse at the main park entrance. Visitors are able to climb the lighthouse and visit the small gift shop located nearby. Whether you climb it or not it is definitely a sight to see.
- Check out the nature center – This is a great activity for kids. The nature center hosts alligators, snakes and turtles that you can see up close and personal. When your finished at the nature center, be sure to walk the fishing pier and check out the beautiful views.
- Visit Boneyard beach – You can get to this beautiful beach by taking the Nature Center Scenic Trail located near the fishing pier. Check out all the trails here.
- Spend a day at the beach – We spent the afternoon at the beach near the lighthouse. There is a mat that leads you to the beach so it’s easier to bring along a stroller or wagon. Collect seashells and enjoy the gorgeous views of the Atlantic Ocean. We were even able to find crabs, a starfish and minnows!
- Camp and stay a while – Hunting Island State Park has camp spots for trailers as well as a camping area for tents. This is definitely a place you could spend a lot of time at so you might as well get comfy and enjoy it.
South Carolina State Parks
If you live in South Carolina or near a SC state park it’s a great idea to purchase a park pass that you can use for the entire year. The park pass includes free admission to things like climbing the lighthouse at Hunting Island state park and more!
Not only is it convenient for you, it’s a great way to support your local state parks. It also motivates you to get out of the house since you know you paid for the park pass in advance. Might as well plan some trips to get your moneys worth!
We really look forward to heading back to Hunting Island State Park once tourist season dies down and the weather cools off. At that point we’ll be able to explore all the trails and enjoy even more of what this little island has to offer.
Join the mailing list!
We plan to start a newsletter in early 2023. We won’t spam you, I promise! The newsletter will be sent out once a month and share all the latest that Lowcountry Kings as to offer! We would love for you to join our community and look forward to sharing more with you in the future. All you have to do is enter your email address below and click subscribe.